Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Social Media is the World

At the beginning of the semester I attended Brian Stelter's lecture about social media. Back then I was not expecting a New York Times journalist to say social media is the new form of journalism. Now I realize how vital and important it is to journalists everywhere. The government even uses social media to update on current events and to inform and receive information. Stelter said, "government is to represent us, by being on social media they can better represent us in the future." I feel like this relates to journalism too. Journalists represent everyone if you think about it, they represent whomever or whatever they are writing about making them representatives of the world. Just like Stelter said, by being on social media sites, journalists can represent better in the future.

Social media also allows people to give immediate feedback. Think about how fast someone can make tweet, I have no doubt that within seconds someone will read that tweet and can respond within the minute! There is no way that happens with newspapers! This has come to be the reliable way to contact the editor or writer of the story. This is just one of the many pluses about social media and journalism. Tweeting is the new way to take notes, inform the public, find information, and report the news. Social media is the new way of journalism, social media is the world.

http://www.niemanlab.org/tag/social-media/
http://www.uncp.edu/home/acurtis/Courses/ResourcesForCourses/SocialMediaJournalism.html

No comments:

Post a Comment